Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Motivation Monday - Q1 Goal Update

Back in January I outlined my three big genealogical goals for the year.  In short they were:
  • Continue my genealogical education.
  • Attend a genealogy event.
  • Write more.
 With the first quarter of 2013 behind me, I thought I'd take a look at my goal progress.

Goal 1: Continue my genealogical eduction.
This one hasn't gone so well.  After a couple of tries, I received a passing grade on Lesson 5 of the NGS Home Study Course.  I still need to finish writing up the Lesson 6 assignments and get those turned in.  I did attend one online seminar about DNA testing, which I found interesting.  It took some of the mystery out of using DNA for genealogical research.  I'm still not sold on having a test done myself, but it was neat to learn about.

Goal 2: Attend a genealogy event.
This goal will be completed two weeks from now.  I registered for the New England Regional Genealogical Consortium conference in Manchester, New Hampshire.  I'll be spending three days among fellow genealogists at my first convention.  If I'm not too tired at the end of each day, expect blog updates about my experience.  It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.  I'm really looking forward to it.
Goal 3: Write more.
Done.  While I haven't been able to write every couple of days like I had hoped, I'm still writing more than I have in the past few years.  Sticking with short targeted posts has helped.  In addition, the blog has put me in touch with a couple of contacts, and led me to read other blogs, which are helping me stay motivated.

Overall, I'm attaining my 2013 goals.  The one area that I need to focus more on is education.  The NERGC conference will help with that, but I really need to buckle down and work more on the NGS course.

No comments:

Post a Comment