Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thankful Thursday – Genealogy Bloggers



Earlier this week, Heather Wilkinson Rojo over at Nutfield Genelaogy was kind enough to nominate my blog for the “Best of 2012” award that was started by the Thought Palette. Heather decided to nominate some new bloggers, which I appreciate since I’ve only been blogging for about a month now.

Being new to the genealogy blogging community, I’d have a difficult time passing the award along to others, as I’m just starting to become familiar with the many blogs that are out there.  I have been enjoying my time reading them, though, and getting to know their authors through their writing.  It’s interesting to see how different people approach blogging.  Some are instructional, others document their experiences, while others record their findings.

In addition to Heather’s Nutfield Genealogy blog, here are few of the others that I’ve started following:
  • Planting the Seeds - Certified Genealogist Michael Hait writes about the profession of genealogy.  I've found many useful articles while reading through his past blog posts.
  • Clue Wagon - Kerry Scott presents a fun blog with a writing style that I really enjoy.
  • Today in Salem - A neat blog that presents the Salem Witch Trials through the eyes of the participants, if the participants had access to social media outlets like Twitter and Pinterest.  Especially interesting at the moment since my daughter is going to be playing Mercy Lewis in a local production of The Crucible.
  • Boston 1775 - Author J.L. Bell writes about the American Revolution.  I've actually been following this one for awhile due to my interest in the time-period.  I like that it's not entirely military focused like many sites about the period.
There are many others that I’ve been browsing.  I’m thankful that all of these authors take the time to write.  Reading their words help me to become both a better genealogist as I can learn from what they’ve shared, whether it be a tutorial on photo preservation, or the description of their experiences while researching a particular ancestor. I'm also thankful for the folks who have been commenting on my posts.  It's nice to know that someone is reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment